Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Hunt

So today is the big test in wines. It's an open book final but it's a bit like an easter egg hunt. Your mom tells you how many eggs the Easter bunny put out there, you pull on your rain boots, you trudge out into the dewey grass, and together with your siblings you find 39 eggs instead of forty. But the time is up and it's too late now, you know it must be out there but you are so exhausted that you cannot find which wine is popular in Southern Australia. So...a week later you start to smell something rotten under your porch. And you just know it is that damn egg.    
<--Easter 2012

Today marks exactly twelve weeks until graduation. My plans before I started here at the CIA, were to go on to the bachelor's program, but it is a woman's prerogative to change her mind, so I did. This brings us back to high school, senior year. All of the students around me were freaking out because they did not know which school they wanted to go to. Then they were debating over which major they were going to pick. How could anyone know exactly what they wanted to do for the rest of their life right there at age 18? Well I thought I had it all figured out. Shoot, I love food, and once I stepped into Roth hall at the Culinary Institute of America, I was sold.
<--Roth Hall

Now, the world is huge. There are so many jobs that you can make out of a Culinary degree. I didn't go to medical school, where I start as a candy stripper in a hospital and then in forty years I'm still at a hospital I'm just a doctor. In twelve weeks I will walk out of here with a culinary degree and there are so many choices that I have to choose from. I started out wanting to be a banquets chef, now I don't even know if I want to be a chef at all. I want to work with the people, the guest, and let me tell you, most chefs will tell you the exact opposite of that. So maybe I'll go into the front of the house, or become a restaurant critic, or I'll run a bed and breakfast. How cool would it be if  I could meet with the bride and groom and work with them to come up with menus for their big day. Because do you know how happy it makes me to see people happy? And do you know that on family feud, fifty one out of one hundred people said that their wedding day is the happiest day of their life. But who knows. I'm just thinking out loud. Soon I'll be out there hunting for jobs, and someone is bound to ask me why I'm looking under the porch. 


1 comment: