Wednesday, December 18, 2013

which niche?

One of my new year's resolutions for 2013 was to find a hobby.

Hob.by [hob-ee] noun: an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation.


I guess the definition above doesn't take into consideration that some people actually enjoy what they do as an occupation. What do you do in your free time Tricia? Well I really like to cook, but that's what I do for a living so I guess it can't be my hobby. Hmm. But I think it's true that sometimes you need a break from what you do on a daily bases in exchange for money. And that is why I let Chris do the majority of the cooking in our household. ;) But really, I enjoy cooking, and I get to do it everyday as a part of my job. While others may sit at a desk hating what they do, and go home to make cook which is their hobby. Prime example- Julie Powell from Julie and Julia. I would say that I am pretty lucky to be able to turn my main hobby into my everyday job.

But I started the search, because everyone needs a relaxing activity that is not what they do for a living. 


Reading has always been one of my hobbies, and I have taken time in this year to read, but not as much as I would've liked.  Curling up with a cozy book will always be my longest running hobby.

I started canning. Bought a bunch of supplies and decided to can foods for people as Christmas gifts. Canning is a seasonal thing. I imagine that in the late summer early fall next year I will can wonderful vegetables that are in season. But it's difficult to continue canning into the winter season. Am I supposed to buy those tomatoes that have been flown in from California and cost more than the great tomatoes that are fresh from NYS when they are in season? How do I justify making and canning jam in December when obviously the two feet of snow on the ground are telling me that berries are not growing anywhere close to me? It just doesn't seem right.

I thought I would take up crocheting. I was quite the fanatic when I was younger and so I bought some needles and cool colored yarn. I made a couple of pot holders, which was my goal. And I made a teeny tiny hat, that might fit a barbie. I couldn't figure out how to make the hat bigger, I got frustrated. That faed fast.

Cleaning is something I wish was my hobby, but instead it's something I have to do and do not enjoy so much. I think some people have it easier than a house with two chefs in it, because we cook every night, and we use at least four pots or pans, some with lids, lots of cooking utensils, cutting boards, etc. Although our food is good, when we finish eating our meal, we are exhausted and the dishes seem like so much more than a chore. This is what I do in my free time mister hobby police. I help cook dinner and then I clean!

I tried yoga. This is a hobby that I would really like to continue when my life slows down a bit and leaves time for hobbies (Christmas party season is upon us.) My yoga experience is very slim and none. I am not about to go to a yoga class and embarrass myself in front of many a seasoned yoga pros, so I borrow a dvd from the library. Turns out it wasn't a beginner dvd and it was so hard! It had me sweating and working tons of muscles I wasn't aware that I had. The next day, it took all that I had to peel myself out of bed. I then found some great relaxation yoga which is what I was really looking for. Lots of breathing and soothing poses vs. straining myself. I still try to do some yoga breathing exercises every once and a while in order to center myself.

I guess the hobby that I have really stuck with this year is my blog. I really enjoy writing and if I could do anything in the world, it would be to write about food. Christopher suggested that I start a blog in order to fulfill my desire to write. And so I have. It has been a little sporadic in the past few months. It's tough to maintain a hobby full time as well as maintain a full time job (or two part time jobs). When it comes to prioritizing, to be honest working and breathing is at the top of my list, and unfortunately my hobby has to suffer. But I hope to continue my blog, and I also hope that people enjoy reading my thoughts. So I guess my hobby of 2013 is Real Girl vs. Big World or is it Little Girl vs. Big World? Either way, I am the girl. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment